Saturday, January 17, 2009

Day 1

         After a near sleepless night, we woke up and half-heartily got ready for our day, completely unaware of what was yet to come. When we stepped out in to the sunshine, we were stunned by the mere 16 degrees Fahrenheit. It was so unbelievably, incredibly cold! Well, after a not-long-enough heated bus ride, we got the metro station. I had no idea how elaborate the system is! Kendall and Austin did an interview with a man who works there named Eugene. He had such a fascinating story! Watch the interview on the web when it gets up. Once we had fueled up on massive amounts of warm beverages and pastries, we went to the Union Station where we met with the Connolly’s, the family that runs big events at Union Station. It is amazing how big it is! There are hundreds of shops and restaurants, an Amtrak station, and a movie theater. Wow!

         Next, we took a guided tour of the Capitol. But, although a tad bit dorky, it was incredibly informative and interesting. I seemed to get more information than what I took in when I went in 5th grade. Later, Harrison and I got some great street interviews. The highlight was an eighty-year-old woman who had voted in every election since women could vote. How amazing!

         Okay, my eyelids are drooping so I’m going to make this quick. We ate at Ben’s Chili Bowl, this awesome restaurant filled great people. I ate a bunch of fries and a yummy chili dog. Everyone did a huge congo line all the way through the restaurant, and a bunch of people clapped and yelled in a good way. It was soooo fun! It was funny how all the people here either call you honey or baby. I love it! We also got the whole restaurant to yell “Yes we can!” at the same time. What a great piece. Well, good night, and I will talk tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment